Monday, April 16, 2007

what's in a name?

" In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." -- John 1:1

A name is a very important detail in a person's life. A good name sparks interest and creates opportunity. It allows you to meet people who might not have noticed you initially, and give you a strong identity on which to build upon. A bad name can relegate you to the back of the line, might turn people off, lead you through a path of chidhood ridicule.

Although, what's in a name? If the verse from John 1:1 is true...is the name really the thing? Does a person become who they are and it just happens to connect with their name, or does the name..and the naming of that person, actually help determine who that person will be? Could it be that as humans, we look for order within chaos and patterns where there are none and we can justify damn near any name to fit with the person we're describing? For example...that dude Marcus (definition: warlike) is a real jerk, I always get in arguments with him. Or..that guy Lucas (defintion: bringer of light) seems to have the right answer all the time..how does he do it?

Anyways...suffice it to say, naming someone is a big deal. And one that I do not take lightly, since my name Lakandiwa, has definitely defined my lived experience so far.

At first, I didn't like having to explain to everyone how to say it, what it meant, where my parents were from etc etc. Not to mention the butchering that would happen on the first, second and third days of school when the teacher would try to "give it a shot." I had one semester where a teacher called me "Lincoln" the whole year even though I corrected her about half the time. Then again, as I defended my name, and taught people how to say it, I realized that at least I had a name that people had to think about. It also made me realize that I was unique, and different, reminded my I was Filipino, and overall...it helped me become the man I am today.

Lakan stands for "judge" "leader" and I do pride myself as someone who can help lead if needed, and who is level-headed in an argument. Diwa stands for "soul" "spirit" "knowledge". My dad used to tell me that Lakandiwa stands for "King of Knowledge." Geez, try to live up to that one. If anything, I appreciate the faith my parents have had in me to give me such a name. I hope I've done them proud so far.

So a name is important...didn't I say that already. To name something or someone can predetermine who that person is and who they will become. Yet, a name can also allow you to realize who you need to become, and where you need to go.

word up,

laks

p.s. btw...if anyone has ideas on names...please send them on through.

No comments: