Monday, April 30, 2007

Getting grown pt. 1



When I turned 18, I was all geeked because my parents gave me the only thing a kid ever wants in the whole wide world. A new car. It was a Honda Civic EX Coupe and I couldn't wait to drive that damn thing when I got it. I had just learned how to drive a stick, and I remember clunking down San Fernando Boulevard. I was stalling after every light just because I was so impatient and excited. It gave me a sense of freedom, and the feeling that I was growing up.

Well, yesterday Cindy and I, with the help of her parents (and mine) bought our first car together. A new Toyota Rav4. We had heard many great reviews about it from friends and family and we liked how it was big enough to be a family car, but not decadent enough to ruin the environment (too much). A hybrid would have been nice...but damn..you needs some scrill to save the world I guess.

Needless to say, the whole process of getting a car is VERY stressful, as the people you deal with, namely the car dealers...are INSANE. We were lucky enough to run into a few good people along the way, and they helped us get a good deal. In one instance, we were being stonewalled by one of the dealers after a few rounds of offers being lobbed back and forth. This so-called "manager" thought our offer was too low, and instead of dealing with us like real people and working with us, he started getting a bit forceful and pushy accusing us of not knowing what we wanted. This didn't sit well with Cindy's mom, and she let his colleagues know that he was being a real buster. After the dust settled, that salesman's superior came in and worked hard to keep our business and calm us down. His perkiness, bright red face and loud multi-colored striped shirt (think, "night at the roxbury" on meth) eventually bridged the gap and we were able to strike a deal. Well, it is worth saying that having our parents there for "backup", and they had our backs fo' sho, was a great comfort.

Its a strange and surreal thing to be driving a new car, and smelling that new car smell, especially when you have had the same car for 14 years (honda civic R.I.P.). Not to mention that this car is TOTALLY designed for a growing family: car seat latches, air bags EVERYWHERE, IPOD connector (that's for me)...and just the general familyness look of it.

I'm just as excited to drive it with our little boy in the backseat, as I was zooming through traffic in my fancy sportscar back in the day. Anyways, Cin and I are happy with it, and it is one more step towards...getting grown. I think having kids forces you down that path whether you like it or not. Beep...beep...baby on board...step the f*** back fool!!!

laks

2 comments:

Unknown said...

All grown up with grown up cars. One day, just a year ago (last April), John sat me down at night to say he thought the old '91 Honda Civic I was driving around with the kids was essentially a death trap (can you believe the 90's are old now!) and we needed to start looking for a new car. I put up the typical, "and we don't have the money for it right now" resistance and hesitance. He forced me to sit down with him as we browsed for leasing deals on suv hybrids. I was anxious about being able to afford anything. God must have been watching bc the next morning, we went looking for our car and discovered it missing. Yup, stolen, that next morning. Guess what we are driving now...a Toyota Highlander hybrid. The insurance money helped us put down the down payment and begin a lease on the car. Now, I'm still figuring out how we make the extra car payment sometimes, but now I have a car decked with front and side airbags for the kids. And John can feel we're all safe when I'm driving the kids around.

lakandiwa de leon said...

peace of mind for sure. cindy loves driving now..when before she always wanted me to. and..since she isn't in school anymore..we're saving $ by carpooling!!!